top of page




Q: What is Articulation?


Career technical education high school courses are eligible to receive college credit through a process called articulation.  Participating colleges have agreements and processes in place that eliminate the need to duplicate certain college courses that are similar in content to career technical education courses that are taken in high school.  Many articulation agreements require a student to earn a 3.0 in the high school career technical education course and apply through the college to articulate a certain course(s).  Oakland Schools Technical Campus articulation agreements, resources, college partners, and programs of study can be found at:

Q: What is a Program of Study (POS)?


A Program of Study is an academic and career plan developed by your school to help move you towards a college and career path.

A Program of Study Plan Can Help You:

  • Select high school classes that prepare you for college and getting a job

  • Understand how the classes you're taking in high school lead to a career

  • Identify extra-curricular activities that are related to your career interest

  • See what classes at your school offer early college credit that will save you time and money towards your college expenses. Learn more about college credit options.

  • Graduate from high school prepared for your next step toward the career you choose

Q: How do I actually get the college credits?


After successfully completing a course that offers articulated credits follow the steps below under, HOW TO APPLY.

Q: What does post-secondary mean?


Post-secondary is a term given to something after high school.  Usually the term is used to describe colleges or universities.  A post-secondary institution would simply be a community college, university, or center where additional technical/academic training would occur.

Q: What programs does my school have?


All programs in Oakland county are listed by school on the CTE in Oakland Co. page of this website. You can also search Oakland Schools Technical Campus offering program on the Pathways page.

Q: What are the grade requirements to receive credit?


Requirements will vary depending on your program and what college you are attending. Most agreements state that a student must receive a “B” in the high school course, have your high school teacher’s signature on the articulation application and complete a competency exam if required.




Q: Is it really possible that I could earn college credit for a class I took in high school?


Yes, CTE programs at the beginning levels are very specific to task, for example, when you learn the basics in a CTE program the techniques do not change between high school and college levels. Here are some examples:

  • • Welders learn to “lay a bead” and “strike an arc”

  • • Automotive Techs learn to perform maintenance on an engine

  • • Basic Marketing concepts

  • • Accounting debits and credits


Q: What is a Career Cluster?


A career cluster is group of careers that share common features. A career pathway is a smaller group of jobs within a career cluster that use similar skills. Each career cluster contains several career pathways. Explore credit possibilities by career cluster on the credit by career cluster page.


Q: What is a Career Pathway?


A career pathway is a smaller group of jobs within a career cluster that use similar skills. Each career cluster contains several career pathways. You can start in an entry-level job in a career pathway. With more education and experience, you can move up within that pathway. Visit our Pathways page to discover the career pathway for you.





1. Go to the Credit by Career Cluster page.

2. Find your CTE program area 

3. View the articulation agreements that are asssociated with each college

4. On the Post-Secondary Partnership page all important  links and applicable articulation forms are posted by individual college

5. Your school counselor and your high school teacher can also be great resources as you explore postsecondary options.


Some things to consider:

  • You need to be accepted for admission at the college before you can receive articulated credit.
  • Many of our college partners require that a student receive a 3.0 G.P.A. in the high school CTE program to be eligible for articulation 
  • You may be required to obtain your CTE instructor’s signature on your articulation application.
  • Articulated credit may not transfer to another institution. Always check transferability of credit with your college.




Anchor 1
bottom of page